Texas Folklife is thrilled to announce that the Big Squeeze Accordion Contest is back in 2017. This will be the 11th year for the Big Squeeze program that supports up-and-coming Texas musicians who are 21 years of age or younger. The contest recruits players in all genres of the Lone Star State’s accordion-based music, including German, Czech, and Polish Polka; Creole, Cajun, and Zydeco; Conjunto, Norteño, and Tejano.
This year, Texas Folklife will hit the road again and hold Big Squeeze showcases in communities throughout the state to search for young accordion talent. The showcases will be free and open to the public, and will feature music by established accordion artists as well as showcase the young musicians.
The Big Squeeze talent showcases for 2017:
- February 4: Los Fresnos High School in Los Fresnos
- February 11: La Joya Independent School District in La Joya
- February 12: McDonald Public Library in Corpus Christi
- February 18: Café 4212 in Houston
- February 19: Multicultural Education & Counseling through the Arts in Houston
- March 4: Larry’s French Market & Cajun Restaurant in Nederland/Groves
- March 25: 508 Amphitheater at Encore Park in Dallas
- March 26: Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center in San Antonio
- April 22: Big Squeeze Finals: Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin
Interested players are encouraged to reserve a showcase slot at a venue in their region by contacting Texas Folklife. Those who cannot attend a showcase may also mail or e-mail their entries to arrive at Texas Folklife no later than March 31, 2017. The complete contest rules and entry forms are available online at www.texasfolklife.org/bigsqueeze2017 or by calling (512) 441-9255.