At about 3:00 a.m. on February 21 the Garcia family got the scare of their life. They woke up to the smell of smoke and the sight of flames.
“So what he [husband] did was he went ran back inside. Woke me up literally screaming and said wake up the house is on fire.” Said Oliva Garcia.
After evacuating the house, Edgar Garcia tried to stop the fire with a water hose while his wife called the fire department.
It took two hours for the fire to be put out. 80% of the family’s house and belongings were destroyed. Olivia said their home is not livable.
“Actually, we are at the moment, you can say homeless. So we’re just going to look for another place.”
The family is currently staying in a RV while they look for an apartment.
“So it’s a challenge but at the same time it’s a blessing because it’s things that you thought you couldn’t do without that you couldn’t live without you learn to do.”
There were some items that still were recognizable in the remains of the house. Televisions, beds, dishes and posters.
The smell of smoke penetrated the home. Windows were broken. Electricity was out. Water and ashes covered the floor.
The fire started in the room with the dryer and took seven minutes to spread throughout the house.
“The spark in the fire so it started going like he was in here but then it started going over the attic over the room.”
The Garcia family’s church, and the children’s schools have been helping the family in their time of need.
“They’ve been amazing and uplifting with my son Manuel and my daughters Destiny and Olivia.”
Olivia says there is always someone out there who is willing to help.
The family is very thankful for all the help they have received from the community. They hope to rebuild their lives.
If you would like to help the Garcia family you can go to the Garcia Family fund on gofundme.com.