Texas Folklife announces the 13th annual Big Squeeze Accordion Contest. The statewide youth accordion showcases and workshops will take place in ten communities across Texas, highlighting the state’s talented young accordion players in four traditional Texas accordion music genres: conjunto, polka, Cajun and zydeco.
The Big Squeeze programming begins Feb. 9 and culminates on May 11 with a festive live concert featuring the statewide finalists at the Big Squeeze Finals and Concert at the Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin, Texas. Four final grand prize winners will be selected from the traditional Texas accordion music genres: polka; Cajun and zydeco; and two conjunto prize winners – one for ages 17 and under and one for ages 18-21.
The majority of Big Squeeze showcases are free and open to the public. Sign-up, event details and contest rules are now available at texasfolklife.org/bigsqueeze2019 or call 512-441-9255.
Big Squeeze Talent Showcases
- Ennis / Ennis Polka Festival / Sokol Activity Center / Feb. 9, 2019 ($8 entry)
- Dallas / Latino Cultural Center / March 21, 2019
- Houston / TBA
- Roma / Roma ISD Performing Arts Center / April 6, 2019
- San Antonio / Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center / April 7, 2019
- Los Fresnos / TBA / April 12, 2019
- Palmview / Palmview High School / April 13, 2019
Semi-Final and Finals
- Conjunto Category Semi-Finals / Museum of South Texas History in Edinburg / April 27, 2019
- Big Squeeze Finals and Concert / Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin / May 11, 2019
- Port Arthur / Cajun Accordion Workshop / Feb. 16, 2019