HARLINGEN, Texas – The Harlingen Police Department is increasing patrols throughout the city’s school zones for the remainder of the school year.
Their goal is to make the city’s school zones an even safer place for the community’s youngest citizens.
Harlingen is also sending out a reminder on what to do and what not to do while in a school zone:
- Don’t double park, it blocks the visibility for other children and vehicles.
- Don’t load or unload children across the street from the school.
- SLOW DOWN! Remember to obey all traffic laws and speed limits, both in schools and in neighborhoods around schools.
- Stop for School Buses. Stop when the red lights are flashing on school buses. It is against the law to pass a school bus when the lights are on.
- Yield to Pedestrians. When a pedestrian is in a crosswalk they have the right of way. Always stop for a crossing guard holding a stop sign.
- Watch for Children. Pay attention and watch for children walking or bicycling in areas near schools and bus stops.