Texas DSHS interactive show 'Flu Fighters' to tour the Valley
AUSTIN, TEXAS (KVEO NEWSCENTER 23) — Kids in the Valley will learn songs and moves to help them remember how to “fight the flu” as they get ready for the upcoming flu season with help from the Flu Fighters. The Texas Department of State Health Services Flu Fighters, two trained martial artists, will use an interactive show to educate children on the best ways to keep from getting and spreading the flu.
For the first time, the Flu Fighters will bring their message to kids during summer activities at places like Boys and Girls Clubs, YMCAs and community centers. The Flu Fighters will visit 15 cities along the Texas border throughout August.
Monday, Aug. 5, 2013
- 10 a.m., Gonzalez Park, located at 34 Tony Gonzalez Drive in Brownsville
- 2 p.m., Downtown Recreation Center, located at 1338 E. 8th St. in Brownsville
- Events are open to participants of the City of Brownsville Parks and Recreation Summer Recreation Program.
Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2013
- 10:30 a.m., Boys and Girls Club, Fair Park, located at 1100 S M St. in Harlingen
- 2:30 p.m., Mercedes Recreation Center, located at 701 Mathis St. in Mercedes
- The first event is open to the public, and the second event is open to members of the Mercedes Recreation Center.
Wednesday, Aug. 7, 2013
- 9 a.m. and 10 a.m., Boys and Girls Club, located at 702 Cullen St. in Edinburg
- Events are open to children registered in their summer camp program.
Thursday, Aug. 8, 2013
- 10 a.m., Palm View Branch Library, located at 3401 Jordan Ave. in McAllen
- Event is open to the public.
Friday, Aug. 9, 2013
- 10 a.m., Boys and Girls Club, located at 413 E. Clark in Pharr
- 2 p.m., McAllen Public Library, located at 4001 N 23rd St. in McAllen
The first event is open to children registered in their summer camp program, and the second event is open to the public.