The Cameron County Fire Marshall, Armando Lucio, has determined that something being dropped on an electric heater, possibly a candle, ignited a fatal fire in the early morning hours of Sunday at a home off of Dockberry.
Seventy-nine year old Casmiro Hernandez was dead when first responders arrived.
Neighbors describe Hernandez as a nice man that visited families up and down the street. One of those neighbors was shocked by the incident and witnessed the house being on fire.
"The fire dept got here to throw the door down and it was like something there but we thought they were some clothes or something." a neighbor said.
The mass surrounded by thick smoke and flames, was not clothes, but the body of Mr. Hernandez, just feet from the door. The county fire marshal believes he was trying to escape from the blaze.
Unfortunately, Fire Marshal Lucio says it doesn't appear that Hernandez’s home had smoke detectors installed.
City and county fire marshals are urging residents to check their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. If your home in not equipped with one, it’s strongly recommended that you purchase one. Fire inspectors will install them for you.