POSTED: Friday, December 24, 2010 - 1:13pm
UPDATED: Monday, December 27, 2010 - 8:08am
Carbon monoxide poisoning is likely the cause of death for a pair Brownsville grandparents.
Friday morning Brownsville Fire Department inspectors and investigators from the Brownsville Police Department returned to the home off of Lewis.
Adan and Rosario Salinas and their 37 year old son and 15 year old grandson were discovered after several unanswered calls to the home by the daughter, prompted her to run by the house on Thursday night. Inside, she found her parents dead in their bedroom, her brother unconscious in a common area of the home and her nephew in a back part of the house.
According to police, the 37 year old is not doing too well, but the teen is expected to fully recover.
Unfortunately, inspectors say tragedies like this can be prevented with the installation of a carbon monoxide detector, something the Salinas’ did not have.
With carbon monoxide being odorless, tasteless, color less and a non irritant, the poisonous gas is nearly impossible to detect.
Even the symptoms of the poisoning can be misleading.
"You start to feel a headache, maybe some nausea, dizziness, might get a stomach ache." said Fire Inspector Cassandra Guerrero.
Symptoms sound familiar? Guerrero says they're often easily mistaken for the flu, so people don't think to take action.
"If you have natural gas in your home, or if you are using appliances, water heaters, stoves, furnaces, that use gas or fuels, you'll want a carbon monoxide alarm in there as well as a smoke alarm." the inspector said.
Guerrero adds the placement of the detectors should be about 15 feet from gas appliances or if you just have one detector, place it close to your bedroom.
In the meantime, the investigation into the accident at the home off of 355 Lewis continues; a faulty water heater may be to blame.