"Sometimes tomorrow doesn't come."
And that's what happened to this group, all because their homes weren't equipped with smoke detectors.
"They found him rolled up in a blanket in the corner of his bedroom and he was still alive but he had suffered very, very hot temperatures."
This little boy was turning five years old in less than a month before the fire. He never got the chance to blow out his candles on November 2nd.
"It was one of these saint candles. Our Hispanic culture uses them a lot for religious purposes."
Inspector, Cassandra Guerrero, says 4-year-old, Osvaldo Moreno, was in his room, saw a lit candle and wanted to blow it out.
"He probably climbed on the dresser to blow out the candle in preparation for his birthday party coming up."
But while he climbed up to the dresser, Guerrero says the candle fell and the fire quickly spread. The housekeeper and his younger sister were home at the time. They survived the fatal blaze. Little Osvaldo died in the hospital days later.
"Her mother had a working smoke alarm that they took down four or five days before the fire as they worked on the ceiling. Evidently, it never went back up."
Rosie Camarillo couldn't escape the flames after an electrical fire. The smoke was so thick, Guerrero says Camarillo couldn't get to the door in time.
"These people died for less than $5. You can buy a smoke alarm, complete with the batteries, for less than $5."
Guerrero says a room can be completely engulfed in flames in only 40 seconds. so, if you have a working smoke detector installed, she says you will have more than enough time to get you and your loved ones out safely.
"In the very early stages of a fire, the smoke alarm will pick up smoke to be able to alert you to give you some time to be able to get up and get out."
Now, many will think to put a smoke alarm in the kitchen. Guerrero says don't!!!! Instead, you should place them in every level of your home, including the basement if you have one.
"It should be in every room or sleeping area and the common hallway."
Guerrero wants to help those needy families this holiday season and needs your help. If you'd like to donate a smoke alarm, contact: Cassandra Guerrero at (956) 554-6994.