POSTED: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 9:29am
UPDATED: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 9:30am
The time has come to start putting up your Christmas decorations and to avoid an electrical fire of your own, the Brownsville Fire Department is offering some safety tips for the season.
Fire officials say this time of the year can be very tempting to overload electrical outlets and power strips is a bad idea. When decorating this year, make sure to check all power cords for frays or cracks in the coating, as well as any break in the rubber that can cause an electric shock or lead to a fire. Limit the number of light strands you link together, too many in a row can overload the circuit, fire officials say link no more than three strings at one time. Also, always make sure the bulbs on your light strands don't get to hot, if they do, it might be time to replace the strand completely.