POSTED: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 2:33pm
UPDATED: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 6:43am
BROWNSVILLE, TX (KVEO NEWSCENTER 23) — The gates are open again at the Palo Alto Battlefield National Historic Park.
The park had been closed since October 1st due to government shutdown.
Douglas Murphy is the Chief of Operation at the park and says this park is a piece of American history.
"It was about a 5 hour battle; it started in the early afternoon on May 8th, 1846 and went through the course of the afternoon."said Murphy.
Murphy says he and his 7 full time employees are glad to be back to educate the public about the significance of this park.
"It’s the site of the first battle between the US and Mexico, nationally it’s the site sort of setting up the western half of the lower 48 in the United States to the country, and all the land extending to California, locally this battle sort of created Fort Brown and the birth of Brownsville afterwards. " said Murphy.
Laura Castro from Brownsville is a former history teacher. She is showing her kids around the park.
"We come to enjoy the landscape, it’s so beautiful seeing the butterflies and all the plants I like to take the kids where they can be out in the wilderness a little more."said Castro.
Murphy says he and his staff have been very busy catching up on work. They are trying to reschedule school field trips.
"We have lost 1,000-2,000 students getting the chance to come out here, and we are hoping we are able to get them back here at a later date." said Murphy
Murphy is also working to reschedule a major event that was supposed to happen last Friday. It was symposium with archeologists from all around the world, some as far as Scotland were going to talk about historic battles and their findings. Murphy is hoping the event is rescheduled for sometime next year.