RIO GRANDE VALLEY, TX (KVEO NEWSCENTER 23) — Monday, October 7, is the deadline to vote in the November 5 elections.
Your application must be received in the Voter Registrar’s office  or postmarked at least 30 days before an election for you to be eligible to vote in that election.
To be eligible to register in Texas, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- A resident of the county
- Be 18 years old (you may register at 17 years and 10 months)
- Not be a convicted felon (unless a person's sentence is completed, including any probation or parole)
- Not be declared mentally incapacitated by a court of law
Notice: Photo ID now required for voting in Texas:
Texas Secretary of State John Steen announced June 25, photo identification will now be required when voting in Texas elections. His announcement followed a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court that cleared the way for photo ID requirements in Texas, originally passed by the Texas Legislature in 2011, to take effect.
“My office is committed to making sure Texans have all the information they need to vote, including what forms of identification they need now that photo ID requirements are in effect,” said Secretary Steen.
A voter will be required to show one of the following forms of photo identification at the polling location before the voter will be permitted to cast a vote:
- Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
- Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
- Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS
- United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
- United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
- United States passport
- With the exception of the U.S. citizenship certificate, the identification must be current or have expired no more than 60 days before being presented at the polling place.
Election identification certificates are now available only for voters who do not already have a required form of photo identification. There is no fee for the certificate. Information on how to obtain an election identification certificate can be found at www.dps.texas.gov . You may also contact DPS by telephone at (512) 424-2600.
To review frequently asked questions and answers, visit www.votetexas.gov .