POSTED: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 7:37am
UPDATED: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 8:32am
Boy crawls under the smoke to warn his family about the fire in their Ohio home.
An Ohio family credits a seven-year-old boy with saving their lives.
"I crawled under the fire. I had to cover my mouth, like this, to keep me from breathing in the smoke."
This brave 7-year-old, Dicoda Taylor, is being called a hero.
Around 3 AM Monday morning the young boy smelled smoke coming from the kitchen of this trailer home on Pennsylvania Avenue in Elyria. The courageous young boy then used the fire-safety training he learned in school to warn his parents of the danger.
"He was in the living room. The fire happened in the kitchen. He crawled on his belly underneath the fire, through the smoke and that and came to our bedroom and woke us up, so I can get him and the kids out of the house. If he wouldn't have done that, we all would've choked out from the smoke, because by the time I woke up I was already starting to choke on it. He was my hero for the day."
The family of five made it out safely through this back window, then they were taken to the emergency room to get checked for smoke inhalation.
"Really amazes me that if he had not done what he done, I would not have any of my grandchildren right now, and I wouldn't have my son."
The Taylor's returned from the hospital monday afternoon to see what they could salvage from the fire.
Besides losing their home, the Taylor's also lost two four-legged loved ones.
"We lost our nine month old Rott/Lab-mix and we lost our cat of six years."