POSTED: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 - 6:17pm
UPDATED: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:32am
A family owned restaurant in Brownsville catches on fire and a customer along with fire fighters come to the rescue. Elia's cafe in Brownsville caught fire in the kitchen. The owner, Elia Munguia was in tears after a fire started at her restaurant near downtown Brownsville.
She was cooking potatoes in the kitchen when a grease fire started.
She says the flames came up to the ceiling. The emergency sprinkler system went off inside the kitchen but flames were still there.
A customers then grabbed a extinguisher and started putting out the flames. Fire fighters then arrived on scene shortly after to put out the remaining flames.
With several fire trucks they extinguished the flames within a half an hour. Elia has owned her restaurant for the several years.
She says all her life she has worked to provide for my family and me.
Her restaurant will be closed for the next few days while she replaces the sprinkler system and her fire extinguisher.