POSTED: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 5:35pm
UPDATED: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 12:27pm
Donna, TX (News Center 23) — Cesarrio Covarrubias came to a devastating sight, the skeletal remains of his home burning and smoking. Luckily, standing outside, unharmed was his family.
"No, thank God nothing happened. She was the one that got the children out, the three that were with her and I had one," said Cesarrio Covarrubias, father.
It took about an hour for fire fighters to get the hot flames under control.
"When the fire department got on scene the house was fully engulfed with flames," said Covarrubias.
It started around 9:00 in the morning. The mother remembers hearing an explosion in the kitchen and then she saw the flames.
When the mother got outside the home, she reached for the water hose. But fire officials said this is actually the one thing people shouldn't grab for.
"We do not recommend it," said George Garrett. "What we do recommend, if your home is one fire, your property is on fire, get out of the way and let the fire department put the fire out. We do not want family members or anyone injured in a fire because they are trying to put something out with a garden hose."
Even with quick action, fire fighters are not able to save much.
"The house is a total loss. The red cross has been notified and will be coming in to assist the family with clothing and a place to shelter for the next several days," said Garrett.
The family is grateful for any and all help.
"We don't have anything, but the most important thing is that we are all ok," said Covarrubias.