POSTED: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 5:28pm
UPDATED: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 5:51pm
CAMERON COUNTY, TEXAS (KVEO NEWS CENTER 23) — It's called Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, or MRSA.
Doctor Brian Smith with the Texas Department of State Health Services says it's a Staph skin infection.
"Bacteria gets on surfaces and then is shared among groups of people and those are the outbreaks you see with MRSA." said Dr. Smith.
Smith says it's commonly found in medical care centers and athletics facilities.
"It can happen at hospitals on the bedrails, where equipment has been contaminated with MRSA, or in a gym, football equipment and players trade helmets."
MRSA is usually treated with maximum strength antibiotics, but in serious conditions surgery may be required. Smith says if it's not treated it can be very dangerous and possibly deadly.
Nationwide over the past several years the Centers for Disease Control has reported cases of MRSA in California, Pennsylvania, and Indiana among high school and college football players.
Smith says locally he has not seen a problem with MRSA lately.
"We have had outbreaks in South Texas, we have not have any recently because people have taken serious measures that their equipment is clean they don't share equipment between players and athletics."
Jesus Trevino is the head athletic trainer for the Brownsville Independent School District. He says trainers take all the safety precautions against MRSA including disinfecting equipment everyday in the training room and in the gym. He says when it comes to football helmets the players never share them.
"At the end of every season they get disinfected as well as get recertified, so when you send them out for recertification they do sanitized and they do get disinfected." said Trevino.
When it comes to preventing MRSA at hospitals it's a top priority at Valley Regional Medical Center. They go through a four step process they call the A-B-C-D's Active Surveillance,Barrier precaution, Compulsive hand hygiene and disinfection.
Honey Lane Dososagunn is the infection control coordinator at Valley Regional. She says all the housekeepers that clean the rooms daily wash their hands and wear gowns and masks while they clean.
"She does a disinfection, what she does is focus on high touched areas such as the rails, phone, call bells, we change curtains that are in isolation precautions."
"Employees that come in need to wash their hands and remind our patients to remind all health care workers to wash their hands." Said Desosagunn.
Smith says if you do notice you have a skin infection and it does not go away go to a doctor immediately. If that infection turns out to be MRSA arly detection is essential.