RIO GRANDE VALLEY - With the recent carbon monoxide scare in Brownsville, Valley fire departments want residents to know a few things about the colorless, odorless and deadly gas.
First, carbon monoxide detectors should be posted around various areas in your home like in the kitchen and bedroom. Carbon monoxide detectors do not go in the same place that smoke detectors would be placed. Mission Deputy Chief Douglas Williams said, "Carbon monoxide should be put in a lower spot in your home, not unlike a smoke detector which at a higher point in your house. Carbon monoxide is heavier than air and settles so you want to keep it low in the house."
If you are unsure about your carbon monoxide detector placement, or want to check the levels in your home, call your local fire department. They will come to your home and help you set up the detectors.