BROWNSVILLE - The Brownsville Fire Department reports that a simple spark of a match could have caused a major explosion at the University of Texas at Brownsville.
The fire department responded to a gas leak at Eidman Music Hall on Wednesday morning after gas had concentrated inside the building and had risen to a high level that could have caused an explosion. The fire department worked throughout the day to bring the levels down by placing large fans to ventilate the building. Fire Department Captain Chris Garcia stated, "The public doors were opened, there were doors on the back that are for service doors and we opened those as well to get cross ventilation. Initially we got the explosion range below the lower limit on the bottom floor and that allowed us to set up fans on the lower floor to ventilate the upper floors and there are two stairs we pressurized one and we have a fan exiting the other side."
The fire department says no one was inside the building and no injuries were reported. The university closed the building for the remainder of the day.