BROWNSVILLE - As winter approaches, the Brownsville Fire Department wants to make sure residents understand the importance of protecting themselves against carbon monoxide poisoning.
Although the gas is colorless and odorless, it is extremely deadly and the gas can be generated from coal, fireplaces and propane. It was just before Christmas last year when an elderly couple in Brownsville died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Brownsville Fire Inspector Cassandra Guerrero says having a carbon monoxide detector in your home is a must because you may be poisoned and not realize it until it's too late. "If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector and there is a carbon monoxide leak in your home, because the symptoms are so much like the flu, you will have a headache and dizziness and you might come down to sleep and you will never wake up."
Carbon monoxide detectors are around $15 to $30 dollars and the fire department recommends you place the device in you bedroom.