Boy Scout uses training to save choking friend.
A 12-year-old boy saved a friend from choking at school by using skills he learned as a Boy Scout.
During lunch one day in the Smith Middle School cafeteria in Cypress, Texas, Chase Greer said his friend started choking on his food.
He said learning the Heimlich maneuver and practicing it with the Boy Scouts helped save his friend's life.
"It was different because I had somebody's life in my hands," Chase said. "I knew if I didn't do it correctly or fast enough it could turn for the worst."
Chase said he didn't think he would ever need to use the life-saving skill, but was glad he had it.
"I started patting him on the back to see if that would give him some relief… it did not, so I started doing the Heimlich gently," Chase said.
He said it took 28 tries, and finally, his friend started breathing.
"It took me a few seconds then it hit me, this was huge," Chase said.
The Scout of four years recommends that everyone take a first aid training course and learn the Heimlich maneuver because you never know when you're going to need it.