POSTED: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 2:22pm
UPDATED: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:32pm
A La Feria family is left homeless after a blaze erupted in the home.
Several fire departments from the Valley answered the call to put out the flames. Fire crews from La Feria, Harlingen, and Mercedes all called to a house fire off Rabb Road in La Feria . This home belongs to Elfida and Julin Cantu. Cantu has lived in the home for 25 years. He build it with his own hands and help of his sons. Elfida and Julin where in the home when the fire started in the upper part of the home. They tried to put it out with a hose and then ran out of the home.
The Cameron County Fire Marshall says the fire started in the chimney area. Flames sparked causing the roof to collapse. Cantu says at least $30,000 worth of clothing, furniture, and priceless memories were destroyed. He also just redid his carpeting. The first floor of the home also sustained severe damage from the water used to put out the fire. Cantu says he plans to rebuild. Cantu says he's going to stay with family members until he can rebuild his home.