"Thermal heating" treatment to rid house of bed bugs ends in fire.
Firefighters believe a bed bug exterminator accidentally started a Carthage, Ohio house fire on Sunday.
Firefighters said the fire broke out at about 2 p.m. Sunday.
Rescue crews said the two-story home was engulfed in flames when they arrived.
A battalion commander said the fire was sparked after the exterminator used a thermal extermination technique to rid the home of bed bugs.
Investigators said the exterminator was using propane tanks and heaters to do the job.
The fire commander would not say whether or not there was an explosion, but at least one neighbor said they heard what sounded like an explosion.
The home was a total loss, crews said.
A neighbor said he noticed smoke coming from one of the side windows and saw one of the exterminators in his truck taking an apparent break.
The neighbor knocked on a window of the truck and alerted the exterminator to the smoke.
None of the people who live at the home were there at the time.