TxDOT reminds motorist to driver safely during back to school
POSTED: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 11:29am
UPDATED: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 11:36am
AUSTIN, TEXAS (KVEO NEWSCENTER 23) — As back to school begins, TxDOT is reminding motorist, with their 'Drive Friendly. Drive Safe." campaign, to drive with safety while pedestrians and bicyclists are on the road.
TxDOT reports that in 2012, vehicles on roads struck more than 5,000 pedestrians resulting in 481 deaths and hitting 2,000 bicyclists killing 56 compared with the previous year.
Nationwide on average, one pedestrian is killed in a vehicle crash nearly every two hours and injuring one every 8 minutes. Additionally in 2011, 677 bicyclist were killed nationwide in vehicle crashes.
To help drivers “Drive Friendly. Drive Safe.” this back-to-school season and year-round, TxDOT offers the following tips:
- Pay attention – put your phone down.
- Obey posted speed limits.
- Be on the lookout for bicyclists on the highway and at intersections.
- When passing a bicyclist, move to another lane if possible and offer plenty of room.
- Watch for bicyclists who may need to maneuver around potholes and debris.
- Be on the lookout for — and yield to — pedestrians, especially when approaching crosswalks, intersections and buses.
- Watch for children who may dart across the street to catch a school bus.
Regardless of which direction you’re traveling, always stop for school buses with flashing red lights.