Terror Plot Stopped

News
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 8:54am

U.S. Justice Department revealed the foiled plot to assassinate Saudi Ambassador that could be linked to Iran.

U.S. officials are not naming names but are holding the government of Iran responsible.

U.S. officials say they've smashed an Iranian plot to bomb Saudi Arabia's Ambassador to Washington with paid help from a Mexican drug cartel.

"Though it reads like the pages of a Hollywood script, the impact would have been very real and many lives would have been lost," said Robert Mueller, FBI Director.

The Justice Department says a plan to kidnap Saudi Ambassador Adel Al-Jubeir turned into an attempted murder-for-hire and the evidence points straight back to Tehran.

"United States is committed to holding Iran accountable for its actions. Babisar and Shakuri are charged with conspiracy to murder a foreign official, conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction," said Eric Holder, U.S. Attorney General.

Secretary of State Hilary Clinton promised diplomatic action.

"We will be consulting with our friends and partners around the world about how we can send a very strong message," said Clinton.

One of the suspects was arrested last month at New York's JFK Airport.

56-year-old Manssor Arbabsiar, a U.S. citizen with an Iranian passport made an appearance in a Manhattan courtroom.

The other, still at large is said to be a member of Iran's special operations Quds Force.

Investigators say they tried to enlist the help of a Mexican drug cartel.

But their contact turned out to be an undercover source working for the U.S. government.

One of the plotters was allegedly warned that innocent bystanders including members of Congress could be injured or killed in the attack.

He uttered an obscenity and said it was no big deal.

 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment