Shelters Opened Throughout the Valley
POSTED: Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 10:24am
UPDATED: Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 10:29am
The National Weather Service is forecasting very cold temperatures across the Valley. A chance of snow, freezing rain, and sleet, mainly after noon. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 35. Wind chill values as low as 15. Breezy, with a north northwest wind between 16 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
The following shelters are open for those wanting to stay warm during the winter strom:
• In McAllen the Salvation Army on North 23rd street.
• In Brownsville the Ozanam Center located on 656 N. Minnesota Road
• In Rio Grande City the First Baptist Church on 1196 Main Street.
• In Port Isabel the Port Isabel Police Department has opened a courtroom at 110 Hickman Street.
• In Progreso the Progreso Jr. High gym on Business 1015 and Malone Street.
• In Mercedes the Civic Center located at 520 E. 2nd Street
• In La Joya the old Juarez Lincoln High School gym on 801 N.Coyote Drive
• In Alton the Domingo Trevino Middle School gym located on 301 South Insiration Road
• In Mission the Parks & Recreation Center on 721 N. Bryan Road.
• In Williacy county they opened a shelter in Raymondville located at 523 W. Hidalgo Avenue