Residents Evacuate After Gas Leak

POSTED: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:31am

UPDATED: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:32pm

A gas leak threatened Harlingen homes causing mandatory evacuations for residents.

The Cameron County Sheriff, Emergency Management Team, and nearby fire departments were called to the intersection off Bass and Business 83 after reports of a gas leak. Daniel DeLeon along with close to 100 residents who live off Bass road were told by the Cameron Sheriffs Department to evacuate.

The Sheriffs Department with the assistance of Harlingen police redirected traffic while crews tried to fix the leak. Cameron County Emergency Management Director Johnny Cavazos says the gas company and fire department were called to seal the leak that may have been started by tractors in the area that were leveling the ground hitting the main.

The Cameron Emergency Management Director says gas was shut off around 3:30 pm and people are allowed to return to their homes.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment