Peanut Allergy Leads To Tragedy

News

POSTED: Thursday, January 5, 2012 - 1:20pm

UPDATED: Thursday, January 5, 2012 - 1:20pm

7-year-old dies after reaction at school.

The family of a Chesterfield, Virginia girl who died after an allergic reaction to peanuts at school is dealing with a new problem.

7-year-old Amarria Johnson, a first grader at Hopkins Elementary, died Monday.

Her family is not only trying to cope with her loss and get answers about her death -- they're now trying to find the money to give the child a proper funeral.

"She was very charismatic; she was one of those children that everyone loved," said Amarria's mother, Laura Pendleton.

That joy and love for little Amarria has now turned to pain and heartache as Pendleton says she is unable to give her daughter a proper burial - with just $3,000 in savings, it's not even half of what is needed to lay her daughter to rest.

"I would have never thought I'd be burying my daughter," said Pendleton.

For seven years, Pendleton was careful to protect little Amarria against a long list of allergies she was diagnosed with - nuts, eggs, shellfish and even chocolate.

As sensitive as Amarria was, her mother says she explained to the school of the allergies.

Now she wants an explanation as to what went wrong.

"My main concern is, how she was exposed, what happened after she was exposed and then I can have my closure," said Pendleton.

"I'm angry. I'm angry and I don't know who to be angry with at this point I just want to know what happened with my child," said Pendleton.

Laura says she just wants to know, Amarria's school did everything they could have to save her baby's life.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment