Officials say Harlingen home catches fires from illegal burn

News

POSTED: Monday, April 1, 2013 - 3:42pm

UPDATED: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 12:01pm

A statue of the Virgin Mary is one of the few possessions that remains at a home on Hoening street for a family of six who lost just about everything on Easter Sunday.
Javier Davila lives next to the home and saw the house catch fire.

"The flames were high, do you see the roof? It was higher than that, a lot of smoke you couldn't see my house and I was afraid my house was going to catch on fire." said Davila.

Davila says his neighbor is a mechanic and when the fire started he tried moving some of the cars which were in the back to front of the yard to save them.
Unfortunately some of the cars didn't make it through the fire.
Davila also says that the family had a $3,000 dollar bird that died from the fire.
Cameron County Emergency Coordinator Humberto Barrera says the fire started in the back where the homeowner was burning trash.

"Investigating and interviewing the father he admitted he was burning trash and he heard a loud pop and believed a hair spray can had blown up, and when he went to the back of the house to see what it was there was already a large fire."

Barrera says it’s illegal to burn trash in Cameron County.

"The county does offer a trash service, you have to sign up with Allied Waste Service, it's a few dollars a month, but it avoids this problem." said Barrera.

Davila says his neighbor was the only one in the home at the time of the fire and was able to escape.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment