More Penn State Charges Filed
Former university president Graham Spanier charged with perjury, obstruction, conspiracy and endangering children.
More charges were filed Thursday related to the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.
This time it's former Penn State President Graham Spanier who's the focus.
Almost five months after former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky was convicted of sexually abusing ten boys, Spanier was charged with trying to cover up the actions.
Additional charges were also filed against two other former Penn State officials.
"This was not a mistake by these men. It was not an oversight. It was not misjudgment on their part. This was a conspiracy of silence by top officials working to actively conceal the truth," said Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly.
Spanier joins former Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley and former university vice president Gary Schultz in facing a total of five charges - perjury, criminal conspiracy, obstruction of justice, failure to report suspected child abuse and endangering the welfare of children.
"If these men had done what they were supposed to do and what they were legally required to do, several young men may not have been attacked by a serial predator," Kelly said.
All three former Penn State officials have publicly maintained their innocence.
A statement this afternoon from Spanier's attorneys insisted there is "no factual basis to support these charges".
The lawyers blame the charges on Pennsylvania's Republican Governor Tom Corbett, who began the Sandusky investigation as attorney general and could seek re-election in 2014.
Kelly denied those allegations, saying "The charges being filed today have no relationship whatsoever to any election."
Spanier, Curley and Schultz are all expected to be arraigned on Friday.
Attorney General Kelly would not say if charges would have been filed against former Penn State Coach Joe Paterno, who died earlier this year.
She would only say "he is deceased and that's the end of it."
Sandusky has maintained his innocence in the case, despite his conviction.
On Wednesday he was transferred to a maximum security prison to continue serving his 30 to 60 year sentence.