Hidalgo County courthouse evacuated
POSTED: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 5:42pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 10:18am
EDINBURG, TX (KVEO NEWSCENTER 23) — An evacuation for smoke at the Hidalgo County courthouse turned out to be just a scare.
The courthouse was evacuated this morning after an issue with the heating system. The smoke filled a courtroom on the second floor. All the inmates in the jail were taken into county buses and were parked outside. Business went back to normal in the afternoon.
"Turned out to be the heating strip that services that particular air handling unit got turned on inadvertently, or there's a problem with that circuit," Edinburg Fire Department Chief Shawn Snider said. "It turned on and burned off the lint and filled up that courtroom with smoke."
Hidalgo County has been working on plans to renovate the courthouse.