Gas Leak at Hanna High School
POSTED: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 7:31pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 7:24am
This was the scene at Hanna high school around 4 pm as school was just about to get out on Tuesday. Fire crews from the Brownsville Fire Department on scene responding to a gas leak in the back of the school. BISD officials say construction workers were working at a construction site where they are building a new science building and hit a gas leak.
"In coordination with the fire department and 1st responders we determined it was best to evacuate upwind to the interior of the main building."
BISD officials say that around 300-400 students were moved out of two buildings into the main building.
" the campus did a great job with their emergency response procedures, they did great it was not bad at all, at no point were are students in any danger."
BISD officials say they shut down the air condition in one of the buildings while fire crews worked to stop the gas leak. The leak was contained about 30 minutes later.