Fire Scare at Russell Elementary
It's a site that would likely make any parent nervous, first responders and emergency vehicles surrounding the entrance of your child’s school.
Just after noon Tuesday a fire alarm went off at Russell Elementary school. Officials with the Brownsville Independent School District say an electrical short with in an A/C unit triggered the fire alarm when sparks and smoke began to fill the building.
"I just parked right there and started walking kind of fast to see what's going on, it's scared me." said a concerned parent.
The building is not a classroom, but a special events room which was empty at the time of the fire threat, but for some parents, seeing their children first hand was the only way to have peace of mind.
"I just want to go in there and see how he's doing, I don't know if he knew about it or not." said a father of a Russell Elementary pre-k student.
He's one of a few dozen parents who were making their way to campus for a special luncheon with pre-k students, but instead stumbled upon emergency lights and fire investigators.
"Just a little bit concerned, so many ambulances and fire trucks and the cops blocking the street and nobody said anything about it, so yeah, just a little concerned." a parent noted.
Despite parents’ initial fears, the school district says no students were ever in harms.