Child is in Hospital After Drinking Insecticide From A Water Bottle

News
Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 9:05am


A child was taken to the hospital early yesterday after drinking what was believed to be an insecticide inside a water bottle. We're told the child apparently thought it was a flavored drink.

The mother told police she had purchased the bottle at a flea market in Donna. She claims the red-colored insecticide was contained and packaged in a plastic Aquafina water bottle when she bought it.

We spoke to several people at the market earlier today one man who didn't want to be identified said he has seen the bottles there before, others said they've never seen anything like it.

Police are still are investigating the incident and have contacted Child Protective Services. An official from one local organization who specializes in child abuse cases says parents need to keep a closer eye on what their kids are doing.

{sot}
Linda Gonzalez says, "You turn your back for one second and all it takes is that one second for them to swallow something you might not know what it is. So always call 911 but we also have to be responsible as parents. Make sure you keep up your house so where the children are safe. Always think about your children first, don't think about it after the fact because then it's too late."

Mission police told us they have handed the case over to the Hildago County Sheriff's Department.
It still remains un clear whether or not the bottle was purchased with the insecticide in it or if its being sold at flea markets across the valley.
As of right now the child remains in stable condition at a local hospital. There is still no word on whether or not the parents will be charged.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment