Charter School Evacuated After Smoke Reported in Vents
POSTED: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 9:51am
UPDATED: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:17am
BROWNSVILLE - An a/c unit began smoking at the IRRA charter school located on East Elizabeth and caused a fire to break out before noon.
While the school was evacuated and firefighters were able to bring the fire under control. School President Jimmy Padilla stated, "We saw smoke coming out of the vents. Right now as a precautionary measure all of our students were exited out of the building and all our staff members. We called the fire department as we need to and we are in the process of calling the parents as well. We are just making sure that everything is fine. The building is secure and we have the okay from the fire department."