Burning Bush Sparks Porch Fire

News
Friday, September 3, 2010 - 3:00pm

Investigators say decomposing houseplant spontaneously combusted.

Investigators say a decomposing houseplant is to blame for a fire that nearly destroyed a Paragould, Arkansas home.

Jonesboro Fire Marshal James Wills said a dead plant in a planter near the house went up in flames.

"It's something that does happen," Wills said, "but this is the first one in our area I'm aware."

Homeowner Teressa Duncan says she had good intentions when she moved the dead plant to the porch with plans to put new flowers in it.

She never watered the dead plant, and the day last month the fire started, the sun was blazing.

The experience has ended her aspirations for a green thumb.

"I'm not going to have live plants anymore," she said.

The fire caused close to $30,000 of damage to the Duncans' home.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment