Annual Back to School Tax-Free weekend begins August 9th
AUSTIN, TEXAS (KVEO NEWSCENTER 23) — The annual Tax-Free Weekend sales tax holiday begins this coming weekend allowing consumers to save on purchases by not paying tax on certain back to school items.
As in the past years, this year's tax holiday exempts most clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks priced under $100 from sales and use taxes, which could save shoppers about $8 on every $100 spent.
Clothing and Footwear
- Retailers are not required to collect state and local sales or use tax on most footwear and clothing that are sold for less than $100 during the holiday.
- The exemption applies to each eligible item that sells for less than $100, regardless of how many items are sold on the same invoice to a customer.
- Backpacks priced under $100 sold for use by elementary and secondary students are exempt during the sales tax holiday. A backpack is a pack with straps one wears on the back.
- The exemption includes backpacks with wheels, provided they can also be worn on the back like a traditional backpack, and messenger bags.
- Texas families also get a sales tax break on most school supplies priced at less than $100 purchased for use by a student in an elementary or secondary school.