Anger In Aurora

News
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 9:58am

Families of victim question use of $5-million in funds raised in wake of theater massacre.

Families of the victims of the Colorado movie massacre are slamming the relief fund set up on their behalf.

They say very little of the millions raised so far have been distributed to affected families.

The Aurora Victim Relief Fund has raised $5 million that's supposed to help the victims and families affected by the July 20th rampage.

"We wanted and still want the donations going directly, not just to the 12 families who lost loved ones, but to all of the victims to help everyone heal," Tom Teves told reporters Tuesday.

Teves' son Alex was among the 12 killed.

He says the money is not being distributed properly or fast enough.

He also says victims don't have a say-so in how it's distributed, and feel humiliated for having to ask.

"You don't understand how difficult it is for someone to ask you, as though you are going to apply for welfare, 'What do you need that money for?" said Diedra Brooks, the mother of one victim.

"It's not about the money," added Melissa Cowden, the ex-wife of another victim. "It's about...I have four kids now that will go through their lives without a Dad."

A spokesman for the relief fund told NBC affiliate KUSA they're still getting organized, and have had trouble contacting some of the families.

A gunman wearing body armor and a gas mask opened fire on July 20 in a packed theater in Aurora during a showing of "The Dark Knight Rises".

In addition to the 12 killed, 58 were injured.

The 24-year-old suspect, James Eagan Holmes, faces charges of murder and attempted murder.

He's being held without bail and hasn't entered a plea.

His attorneys say Holmes is mentally ill.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment