9th Anniversary: Queen Isbella Causeway Collapse

News

POSTED: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 9:46pm

UPDATED: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 8:30am


It was nine years ago when the Queen Isabella Causeway collapsed. It claimed the lives of 8. Liz money a SPI resident for 20 year remembers.

"It was really scary to see a big gaping hole in the bridge and their was lights flashing and they said people died, and worried did we know any of them. Everyone was afraid because we didn't know how many people have perished at first they just said a lot of cars on the bottom. There was a big chunk out and the bridge was unstable afraid more parts would fall and they actually did after that."

The eight that died were Robert Harris, Gaspar Hinojosa, Robin Leavell, Hector Martinez Jr, Julio Mireles, Stvan Rivas and Chelsea and Barry Welch. Money knew of those people money knew.

"Some worked at the sea ranch restaurant where we have a shop inside there also the fire chief in Port Isabel was a friend he had been working at Luis and got caught in it after the fact it was a sad thing it was an accident and all these people perished and we knew 7 out of 8."
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment