40 Years For San Benito Man's Involvment in Baby's Death

News

POSTED: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 10:16am

UPDATED: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 11:17am

With his hands on his face Abraham Proenza sat in the 404th district court as he heard his fate Tuesday.
A Cameron county jury came back with a decision of 40 years in prison.
Proenza was found guilty on Friday of injury to a child resulting in death.
The baby was four month's old.

"I have mixed feelings, I am satisfied with the 40 year term, on the other hand my victim the baby is in a cemetery somewhere, it’s disheartening but we are pleased with the jury's work." said district attorney Luis Sanez.

Prosecutors say it was back in 2008 at a San Benito home where Proenza was watching the 4 moth old and failed to feed him.

"It was a whole month the child had been neglected and not fed at all within 3 or 4 days of his death." said assistant district attorney James Evans Robbins.

Prosecutors say the autopsy showed cause of death was malnutrition and dehydration.
Prosecutors say it is especially disheartening that Proenza previously worked as a director of his family owned daycare.

"He had various certifications from CPR to nutrition, he had quite a bit of experience besides having two of his own children it was devastating to know he was out their protecting children when he couldn't protect his own children." Said assistant district attorney Laura Garcia.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment