Road Closures Expected in Waste Water Project
Getting to work or heading to that favorite store at Brownsville downtown may take you just a bit longer. Temporary road closures are in place for several streets, while some other roads will become blocked off later in the week.
The city is replacing old waste water lines and updating some lift stations located in the older sections of the city. Lift stations, which moves waste to the water waste plants, are either being replaced or rehabilitated and runs under the right of ways on the streets. With the water lines being worked on, a strong odor of sewage will be in the air, because the waste water is not moving fast enough through the system and becomes septic.
The waste water project was made possible by a $46 million dollar funding from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Listed below are some of those roads that will be closed or a PDF attachment with maps of the location for you to download.
• Ringgold and St. Joseph Dr. at Palm Blvd (Closed; Scheduled to re-open in early October 2010)
• W. 5th St. between Resaca Blvd. and Madison St. (Closed; Slated to re-open early October)
• W. 6th St. between Resaca Blvd. and Jefferson St. (Closed; Slated to re-open early October)
• W. Jefferson St. from W. 5th to the first alley past northwest of Villa Maria Blvd. (Closing Thursday, August 12, 2010; Scheduled to re-open in early October 2010)
• W. 14th St. between W. Elizabeth St. and Levee St. (Closing daily from 7 AM – 6 PM starting Wednesday, August 11; Slated to re-open Monday, August 16, 2010)
• W. 15th St. between W. Elizabeth St. and Levee St. (Closing daily from 7 AM – 6 PM starting Tuesday, August 17; Slated to re-open Monday, August 23, 2010)
• Dana Rd. between Old Port Isabel Rd. and FM 802 (Closed; Slated to re-open early September 2010)
• Old Port Isabel Rd from Coffee Port to FM 802 (Closing daily from 7 AM – 7 PM; Slated to re-open next week)
• E. 6th St. between Ringgold St. and E. Jackson St. (Closed; Scheduled to re-open by early next week)