Conference on “Recognizing Issues of Mental Illness Among Adolescents and Young Adults for Suicide Prevention”
Friday, May 4, 2012 · 8:00 am
8 CEUs for Nurses, Social Workers, Teachers, Counselors, Psychologists and Law Enforcement Professionals. Please click on the link for information and registration: http://www.utb.edu/sa/shs/mhsp/Pages/default.aspx
The learning objectives of the conference include:
• To learn about the nature and prevalence of suicide among adolescents and young adults nationwide and in the State of Texas;
• To recognize mental health problems prevalent among adolescents and young adults that can lead to suicide;
• To gain basic skills for early detection of signs and symptoms, and early intervention that can prevent suicide;
• To be cognizant of the impact of alcohol and substance abuse, post-traumatic stress disorders, bullying and sexual and domestic violence as risk factors for suicidal behaviors.
• To be able to gain overall understanding about mental illness, in order to reduce stigmatization of treatment-seeking behaviors by those in need.